Working in the Hotel industry, we have been very fortunate to stay in some luxurious accommodation while we have travelled as a couple.
Now traveling with children our tastes have changed, and a boutique Hotel room with a mini-bar fridge is just not practical or comfortable for long stays. This is why I now mostly look for apartment style accommodation. When I was searching for accommodation for our trip to Tasmania, I found many of the places extremely expensive for what was being offered. With your accommodation being a large portion of your travel costs value for money is highly important.
I came across Airbnb, and while I had heard of the service from other friends, we had not stayed at one ourselves. There is always a first time for everything, and we took the plunge on our trip to Tasmania.
What is Airbnb
Airbnb is only new on the accommodation scene, founded in 2008 and based in the United States it is a marketplace for people to list and book accommodation around the World. It offers a unique accommodation experience in over 65,000 cities.
How to book Accommodation on Airbnb
To start, create your free account.
Once you are a member add your required destination and dates. There are filters in place for you to narrow down your accommodation requirements. These include your room type (entire home, shared room, private room), price range, the number of rooms and beds, amenities and facilities.
Some homes can be booked instantly (your accommodation is reserved and held) while others need to be requested and confirmed by the hosts. If your accommodation is requested, you will need to wait for a confirmation email to proceed with the reservation.
Full payment is made online via the Airbnb website. The payment is made this way as you may not meet your hosts during your stay and it protects both the host and guests.
Amendments and cancellations are made through the website, however, note the cancellation policy before making any changes as they range from flexible, moderate and strict.
Once you enter your details and approve your reservation you will receive a confirmation email and a reminder confirmation closer to your arrival date.
Ready to give Airbnb a go? Follow this link to get $55 AUD off your first booking!
- Research the area you want to stay in as the accommodation is quite widespread and you do not want to stay somewhere and realise it is not in a location suitable to your requirements.
- Take notice of the reviews on the listings. They are extremely helpful in assisting you to make a decision on selecting a property.
- Check the cancellation policy as these can vary from place to place. If you are unsure of your travel plans, it is best to book flexible accommodation that can be amended without charge.
- Check the house rules and what is required of you during your stay.
- The price differs depending on demand and how many people are staying.
- Contact the homeowner. There is a section online that allows you to do this and ask them any questions you desire.
- Check the inclusions during your stay. Some offer pantry staples, laundry items, so you will not need to take your own.
Our Review of Airbnb – Positives
- We had a wonderful experience at all 3 Airbnb’s while in Tasmania. They were all very different and had great qualities for their unique reasons. Hobart was warm and inviting with great kitchen facilities. Bicheno offered a continental breakfast and a 2-minute walk to a quiet beach. Launceston provided toys both inside and out for the kids to enjoy, with spacious facilities for them to run around.
- The communication from the homeowners was fabulous before, during and after our stay.
- It was a home away from home which allowed us and the children to feel more comfortable and settle in quicker.
- The houses/apartments gave us space and freedom to move around.
- Tips and advice from the hosts on what to do, places to eat, things to see. There is nothing better than hearing suggestions from the locals.
- Most offered more than the inclusions you would receive in a Hotels and Apartment, g., Free Wifi
Our Review of Airbnb – Negatives
- Some of the homes/apartments are in residential areas, and you may hear dogs, neighbors, garbage trucks during your stay.
- Photographs can be deceiving; this is why you should always check the reviews.
- Unlike Hotels and Apartments, your Airbnb residence will not be serviced, and you will need to clean up after yourself at the end of your stay. We did not find this a negative but can appreciate it may not be to everyone’s taste.
Ready to give Airbnb a go? Follow this link and get $55 AUD off your first booking!
Share with me in the comments if you have stayed at a great Airbnb
LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT!