Do you have plans for the Gold Coast school holidays yet? If you are staying local and are searching for some boredom-busters, planned activities, and fun things to do in the holidays with kids, I have compiled a list of over 30 activities to help you through the school holidays. I have included everything from what’s free, school holiday programs and what you can do yourself at home. Activities where you will enjoy quality time with the kids or ideas to keep them entertained while you complete some necessary jobs. Check out below my school holidays Gold Coast guide.
Note: With any planned activities I listed, I recommend viewing the businesses website (I have added the links to some) for more information, as many require pre-bookings and fill up quickly.
This school holidays guide contains affiliate links
Updated for Easter school holiday – Your Gold Coast holiday guide
- LIBRARY – The city libraries offer lots of exciting free programs and events all year round, including the school holidays. The programs cater to all interests and ages.
- ROBINA TOWN CENTRE – If you have an aspiring Wizard in your house Robina Town Centre will cast a spell over them with their school holiday activities. The mind-bending magic shows; wand, slime and potion workshops will have your kids embracing all things magical. The shopping centre will also be hosting their very popular ‘Wizards in The Kitchens’ cupcake decorating workshops. Bookings are essential through their website as these activities fill up very quickly. Please note there is a fee for each workshop with all proceeds going directly to the charity LIVIN.
- PLAYGROUNDS – Anyone with kids is no doubt well acquainted with a playground or two. A playground is one of the best forms of free entertainment and joy for the kids while allowing them to burn off some energy. Invite a few other mums and make it an outing for everyone to enjoy.
- OUTDOORS – There are many positive benefits for children spending time in and around nature. As the weather has cooled down this is a perfect time of the year to enjoy the great outdoors, and the Gold Coast has an abundance of walking tracks to explore further.
- BIKE RIDE – Another way to make the most of the beautiful Gold Coast sunshine is by jumping on your bike or scooter and enjoying the many bike paths around the coast.
- BACKYARD CAMPING – Tis the season for camping, but you don’t have to travel far or even leave your house to have some old-fashioned fun. Why not try camping in the backyard? As the nights are now brisk, make the most of it by roasting marshmallows or creating smores over an open flame. If you don’t have a fire pit in the backyard, that’s ok – there are so many DIY mini fire pit options online, which would be a great activity for the older kids in the house.
- HOME MOVIE NIGHT – Create the cinema buzz at home. Arrange snacks and drinks, lower the lights, grab some comfy chairs or arrange pillows and blankets on the floor, choose a movie everyone has agreed on and enjoy this special quality time.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: 6 Amazing Places to Experience Outdoor Enjoyment on the Gold Coast
- TREETOP CHALLENGE MOUNT TAMBORINE – The TreeTop Challenge at Tamborine Mountain is Australia’s largest zip line There is a junior adventure park created for children aged 3 to 7 and consists of two courses that are low to the ground and another two that are suspended high up in the canopy.
- HORSE RIDING – Horse riding is known for being therapeutic, and there are many positive benefits to encourage children to give it a try. With the hinterland at our doorstep, there are many places to enjoy a ride and have fun.
- THE FARM BYRON BAY – Just over the border is a working farm where you can go on a guided tour of the property learning about the farm’s famous icons (Available Sunday and Mondays via booking). During these Easter holidays, there are also many hands-on workshops that will educate kids on farm life in a fun and interactive way.
- CURRUMBIN WILDLIFE SANCTUARY HOLIDAY PROGRAM – Currumbin Wildlife’s school holiday program allows visitors to participate in exclusive activities including enrichment feeding, behind the scenes access and up-close and personal animal encounters. Please note, there are only four days in the holidays when this is available, so check the link in the header for more details.
INDOOR SCHOOL HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES GOLD COAST
- SHOPPING CENTRES – Many of the shopping centres around the Gold Coast offer activities during the school holiday time. For instance, Pacific Fair has workshops planned around an art theme. I would suggest jumping onto your local shopping centre website as events are normally listed online and sometimes bookings are required.
- QUEENSLAND THEATRE OF PUPPETRY We have been visiting the Queensland Theatre of Puppetry on Macintosh Island for years now. These holidays you have the chance to see “The Wizard of Oz.” At only $6.00 per person, it is a cheap outing, and all the money is donated to a Gold Coast charity.
- THE COLLECTIVE – The Collective is one of the Gold Coast’s newest dining experiences, located at the southern end in Palm Beach. During the school holidays, they are running their hugely popular cooking classes – pizza, cookie and cupcake making are just a few. Recommended ages 4 – 12 years.
- PLAYHOUSES – When you are searching for an indoor activity the playhouses on the Gold Coast will provide entertainment and fun. Stay as long as you want, with all offering café facilities. Some of the playhouses even host special activities over the school holidays.
- CINEMA – Always a firm favourite in the holidays. The Lego Movie 2, Dumbo, Wonder Park, Aladdin will no doubt be some of the best family-friendly movies to watch.
- INFINITY – Immerse yourself in a universe of special effects, sound fields, trippy music, visual and spatial illusions that recede to Infinity. The journey takes around 30 minutes and is suitable for all children over 8.
- BOUNCE – Each Bounce venue is an adrenaline playground comprising around 3,000 square meters of interconnected trampolines, adventure features, padding, and airbags. Bounce is high energy indoor fun that the whole family can partake in!
- INFLATABLE WORLD – The biggest indoor inflatable playground in Australia is all about having fun. If your children love jumping castles, then they will be in their element at this venue.
TIP: Always have a look at Groupon as I have seen discounts to Playhouses & Inflatable World offered before.
ART, CRAFT & CULTURE
- THE CRAFT PARLOUR – A place where anyone is welcome to come and get crafty, creative and inspired. The Craft Parlour will be hosting workshops for the kids during the holidays. All details are on their website.
- HOTA – HOTA (Home of the Arts), formerly known as The Arts Centre Gold Coast is the home for all things creative, and the Gold Coast’s premier cultural facility. Keep an eye out on their website for activities, workshops, and performances over the school holiday time.
- PUTT PUTT GOLF – A family fun activity and popular game with the kids. You will find Putt Putt Golf Courses all over the Gold Coast – Mermaid, Robina, King Tutts in Surfers Paradise, Parkwood Golf Club, KDV Carrara
- GO KARTING – For fun behind the wheel Go Karting, Gold Coast is the answer. There are many Go Karting venues on the Gold Coast. I have linked Slideways as they have the whole family covered with K’Indy cars for ages 3 years up to Pro Karts for 14 years and over.
- iFLY – A memorable activity that can only be matched by jumping out of a plane. Kids from 3 years of age will learn to fly like their favourite superheroes while having heaps of fun!
- THEME PARKS – The Gold Coast theme parks are one of the main tourist attractions with tens of thousands of people streaming through their gates each year, and as you can imagine school holidays are their busiest time. You can read more about the Gold Coast theme park HERE.
- ICE SKATING AT PLANET CHILL – Ice Skating is not normally something you would expect to find on the Gold Coast, but thanks to places like Paradise Resort you can strap on a pair of skates and experience the magic of gliding on ice.
- ROLLER SKATING – Just over the border in Tweed Heads is Epic Skate Rink. A roller-skating rink that offers value for money, and a fantastic indoor activity where kids can have fun, and learn new skills. TIP: Join up to their Facebook page to receive special coupons.
- BOWLING – You can’t look past bowling for a fun activity the whole family will enjoy. There are numerous bowling centres in the Gold Coast with many including additional activities, like laser tag and arcade rooms.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Our Review of iFLY Indoor Skydiving
- COOKING – Baking with the kids is a fun activity, and there are several simple baking recipes the kids can help create in the kitchen. At the end sit down and enjoy the treat or meal together as a family.
- GARDENING – Have a day in the garden. By spending time in the garden, kids are learning new skills, having fun and it’s an opportunity to discover more about nature. Maybe these holidays would be a good opportunity to plant something new with the help of the kids.
- MAKE SLIME – Slime is the new rage and can easily be made from many of your products at home. If you prefer not to start your kids on the slime craze, another option is making some playdoh.
- SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS – Simple science experiments you can do at home with your kids are a fun way to introduce children of all ages to basic scientific concepts.
- ART & CRAFT – When searching for craft ideas to keep the kids entertained the internet is the first place I research. In particular, Pinterest which has thousands of different craft projects and activities.
Feel free to share in the comments any other activities to help us through the school holidays!
LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT!
Image Credit: Unsplash & Pixabay
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you follow an affiliate link and go on to purchase that product or service, we may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you!). Thank you for supporting Inspire Family Travel as this allows us to continue sharing more helpful content with you!